Mrs. Sandy Helton
Title III Director
The mission of the Cumberland County ESL department is in accordance with the Cumberland County Board of Education mission: to empower each student with the skills to be a productive citizen.
The purpose of the ESL Program is to offer high-quality, equitable student programming to facilitate career and college ready students fluent in English.
The ESL Department provides English language classes to non-native English speakers who qualify for services.
Service hours are determined based upon screener scores or WIDA ACCESS 2.0 for ELs scores.
Students and teachers are supported through a variety of services including:
- · Pull-out Programs
- · Scheduled ESL classes
- · Push-in Support
- · Individual Learning Plan for each student
- · Other Appropriate Resources
The Tennessee State Standards and the WIDA Standards guide the curriculum of the ESL program.
The curriculum is designed to meet the needs of students at each level of English proficiency, as evidenced on each student’s Individual Learning Plan (ILP), through:
- · Reading, writing, listening, and speaking
- · One-to-one or small group instruction
- · Daily instruction for credit ESL classes in high schools
- · Collaboration with classroom teachers
- · Suggested accommodations and modifications
- · Materials and strategies according to student needs
As we transition to the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), the USEd has released several new guidance documents. These are listed in the "Recently Released" documents below.
ESL Related Documents
- Accessibility Guidebook Rev Dec 7 2018
- Dear Colleague Letter
- ESSA Title III Part A Guidance ELs 9-23-16
- ESL Hiring Plan 2019
- ESL Manual NOV 2018
- ESL OCR Compliance Report
- EL TOOL KIT UPDATED
- Fact Sheet-Information on the Rights of All Children to Enroll in School
- Parent Guide to TNReady Supports for Students with Disabilities
- Registering Students with NonEnglish Names
- Retention Guidelines for English Learner Students
- Teaching Literacy in Tennessee English Learner Companion
- TN EL Framework March 2018
- Wida Access for ELS 2018-2019 ARABIC
- Wida Access for ELS 2018-2019 VIETNAMESE
- Wida Access for ELS 2018-2019 SPANISH
- Wida Access for ELS 2018-2019 ENGLISH
- Wida Access for ELS 2018-2019 CHINESE
The Cumberland County School District is not responsible for the content of any outside linked sites. Links to other websites are not under the control of CCS and are offered as a convenience. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement of the site by the District.